Monday, July 14, 2008

Rude Awakening

The other night, while we were tucked safely in our beds, having sweet sweet dreams, Joe and I were awakened by a loud noise about 3am. We both groggily looked at each other for a moment then 'BOOM'. We jump out of bed and I start to run to the other end of the house where the kids rooms are and Joe goes to the front door. As he opens the door he yells 'Call 911, it's on fire!'. So, naturally, my mind is going 90mph and I finally say 'WHAT????' (guys - this is my worst nightmare, when I was 5 I slept with a bag packed next to my bed so just in case there was a fire I would have some of my favorite things)...he then yells back 'the tractor, the neighbors tractor is on fire!'. I run to get my phone - which of course I could not find, so I dump out my purse, my bag and anything else I could possibly dump - after I call and am told the fire department has been dispatched I go to the front door. That is when I see this.....

This is about 20ft from the side of our house...just outside Jasmine's bedroom window!!!
Once I see the fire and where it is I go running back into the house and get Jasmine to put into our bed. It is by the grace of God that she was so exhausted from going to Vacation Bible School all week that she did not wake up during the explosions that jarred Joe and I on the opposite end of the house. I'm afraid if she would have awoke to this, she would never sleep in her room again (I know I wouldn't have at that age). After about 10 minutes - remember we live in the country, our fire department is volunteer and takes a little longer for them to respond - they showed up and put the fire out. Whew, I tell ya, sleep after that did not come easy. Had my heart pumping for the rest of the day. Here is the aftermath, I took this as I was leaving for work about 6:15a so it is kind of dark. By the time we got home that evening it was gone, already towed away.

4 comments:

Heather said...

why can't people keep from burning their vehicles in front of us?!!!!!
who would have thought it would happen to me and you in the same month!!!!!!! I'm glad no one was hurt!

Jenny said...

Oh my...that's not something you want to wake up to in the middle of the night. Kids are so funny....it takes a miracle to get them to go to sleep, but once they are out, not even an explosion outside their window will wake them!

3 Men, 2 Ladies and a Hound said...

Holy smoke!!! I was anxious and my heart was beating fast just reading about it, I am so sorry you had to experience it! I am glad everyone was safe and no one was injured.

Ladyornot.com said...

I am glad everyone is ok. Iknow that had to be horrible

 
design by suckmylolly.com