Thursday, January 17, 2008

I'm At A Loss


Jasmine is having a rough time at school again here recently. She was doing great just before the holiday break, lots of green and yellows. Since returning she has only gotten a couple greens and yellows, mostly orange and red. I received a note from the teacher today saying she is continually doing something immediately after being corrected and if she doesn't start to demonstrate more mature behavior it is a possibility she will have to repeat Kindergarten. I just don't know what is going on in that little head of hers. Also, she has always looked forward to going to school, not recently. Each night when going to bed she will say something about not wanting to go to school. And Monday night when sitting down for dinner I asked her how her day at school was and she replied, 'terrible' when I asked her what happened to make her day so terrible she replied, 'I don't want to talk about it.'

My question is this, how do you get a Kindergartener to express what is going on to cause such changes in behavior?? Do they even know what is going on and how to tell me about it?? We haven't had any changes occur in the home, which leads me to wonder if something happened at school. But then again, if it did, she is not sharing.

It just makes my heart ache watching her struggle in school - not that she feels she is struggling, she thinks she is great at everything she does. It's just when you have kids you want them to be the best most perfect children to ever walk the face of the earth, and then someone comes along and burst your delusional bubble. Not nice! I know in the grand scheme of things not doing well in Kindergarten isn't the end all be all, but I still want everything to be daisies and butterflies - everyday!

Anyways, please keep Jasmine in your prayers as she is struggling this week.

3 comments:

kittywhisprer said...

It sounds like there was a change in the class. Did she get any new classmates? Maybe she needs to sit next to someone new. Hope it's just a phase that will blow over soon.

Ladyornot.com said...

You know my daughter had a rough first week. I realized that she had gotten off on her bed time while school was out. We bumped up her bed time, until her behavior got better. One night she went to bed at 6:30. I wanted to cry, but that did the trick. January is testing time for school. They do map testing and Pace testing. The teacher told me that many kids have behavior issues when it comes to testing. (my daughter does more complaining of stomach aces than getting in trouble). If we have to wake her up in the morning that means we move her bed time up that night.

I might suggest you start asking her questions, such as: Did you take test today? How does testing make you feel. etc.

I hope this helps!

Taylor said...

Both of ya'll are right. Upon returning after Christmas break the teacher has rearranged the room so all the children have new table mates. AND at the beginning of the year when we were having issues we kept pushing her bedtime up and settled on 7:30p. Well lately, through one distraction or another it's more like 7:45p or 8:00p before she's down. I guess Joe and I need to buckle down on that aspect. Thanks for ya'lls comments.

 
design by suckmylolly.com